POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More power : Re: More power Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More power
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2009 10:16:16
Message: <4b06b2c0$1@news.povray.org>
>> I wonder - what would it cost to buy a twin 6-core Opteron or Xeon box?
>
> Finding the CPU & MB is the hardest part.

Indeed. Both the Opteron and Xeon are server-class processors. It
wouldn't surprise me if the only way to get a twin 6-core box is to go
to somebody like HP and buy an actual server. This, presumably, is
freakishly expensive.

Still, it would be interesting to see just *how* expensive it is. I
remember looking at an HP ProLiant server a few months back - a big
rack-mount thing with hot-swap RAID, redundant PSUs and fast CPUs. And
while it *was* very expensive, it wasn't as expensive as you might
imagine...