POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots : Re: Rendering technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering technology
From: Tom Austin
Date: 20 Nov 2009 10:08:44
Message: <4b06b0fc$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/mandelbulb.html#renders
>
> Any idea how you render something like this?
>
> I mean, I suppose you could use a sphere-tracing algorithm like
> POV-Ray's isosurface{} construct. But is there any better way?

 From the site itself:

Any decent 3D software to render the beast?
Not from what I've seen. I originally looked for a 3D program, but
nothing out there seems to render arbitrary functions. Perhaps POVray
comes closest with its isosurface approach, but even then one can't use
local variables or constructs such as While loops.

In the end, I had to create my own renderer (as did the other peeps at
FractalForums.com)