POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2009 08:19:54
Message: <4b06977a@news.povray.org>
> But personally, I can't imagine getting hired for a job where even one of
> the above is useful. I mean, sure, somebody somewhere designs ICs for a
> living.

Several people in my department have designed ICs at some point or another,
for LCD drivers or just general stuff for test equipment.  I imagine a lot
of electrical engineering jobs elsewhere require such skills without being
solely an "IC designer".

> And somebody, somewhere else, designs bridges. Have *you* ever met a
> bridge designer??

Yes, several, although having done an engineering degree probably helps to
meet them :-)

The point is that mostly you don't recruit a "bridge designer" or an "IC
designer", you want a structural engineer or an electrical engineer.  Being
able to design bridges or ICs is just one of the skills you need them to
possess in order to do their job.