POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2009 01:19:29
Message: <4b0634f1$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 11/19/09 10:33, Darren New wrote:
>>> Sometimes you get a help page for the whole dialog box, containing
>>> such gems as "Use SCSI encapsulation - Turn this on if you want to use
>>> SCSI command encapsulation". Well, gee, now it all makes sense!
>>
>> That means one of two things:
>> 1) If you don't know what SCSI encapsulation is, don't touch this.
>
>     Yes, but why bother putting it in the help file, if you're not going
> to provide help for it?

Because some corporate person made the rule that every option has to have a
help file entry?

The other mechanism is to say "it's in the registry, but we don't support
it", but then you get people complaining about it.  "Turns on SCSI
encapsulation" is a perfectly good description if you know what it means. If
you don't know what it means, a tool tip is probably not the right place to
learn it.

It's like trying to explain anything technical in enough detail that an
uneducated user will understand. How do you explain "clear authenticated
sessions" in the firefox "clear private data" dialog without explaining how
SSL works and why you'd have to carry around session authentications between
sessions?  To someone who isn't sure what the difference between the
internet and email is?

How do you explain what an IRQ conflict is or a DMA range to someone who is
still a bit confused by the difference between the monitor and the computer?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?