POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More microsoft patents : Re: More microsoft patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More microsoft patents
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2009 17:54:16
Message: <4b05cc98$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If patents on prior art can be granted if the patent does some tiny
> detail differently and originally, wouldn't that mean that, conversely,
> you don't infringe the patent if you implement it with some tiny detail
> being different from the patent description?

There's two bits.

If I patent (say) black and white TV, you can patent how to send color over
the airwaves in a way that a B&W TV will get the right picture too.
However, I can't manufacture my color TVs without licensing the B&W patents,
and you can't sell a color TV doing it my way without paying both licenses.

In other words, I can patent a device that does A&B&C. You patent a device
that does A&B&C&D.  Anyone that does A&B&C infringes my patent, and if it
also does D it *also* infringes your patent.  But the patent on A&B&C&D is
still a valid patent. Someone doing A&B&C&E does not infringe your patent
but it infringes mine. Someone that does A&B&X doesn't infringe either patent.

>   The latter would make patents basically useless, but that means that
> patents should not be granted on prior art simply because the patent has
> a minor difference compared to all existing usage.

The argument in the above case would be whether my patent already covers "D"
in your patent. Just because I have a patent doesn't permit me to
manufacture devices covered by that patent. I have to license all the other
patents that also cover the device.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?