POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Wave? : Re: Google Wave? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Wave?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 19 Nov 2009 12:16:05
Message: <4b057d55$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> I think I heard somewhere in the video that some things require
> extensions to the http protocol and that they have a proposal for that
> in place.

Possibly. I don't hear the video - while I have 2 sound cards, sounds in
flash is out of the question. It can't use the secondary card. Somekind
of pulseaudio wank could work, but I'm too lazy for that, since needing
sounds in flash is extremely rare.

>> With Wave you choose recipients, like with email. With NNTP you choose
>> just a "forum" and it's free for practically anyone to read if (s)he
>> chooses to do so. There is a major difference.
>
> It is that everybody is able to write anonymously that implies SPAM and
> that has already killed a few newsgroups. Because nobody wants to say
> something that they feel is important just to have it drowned in SPAM.

True. But the difference between mail (wave) and NNTP (eg. web forums)
stay the same.

> This technology could function sort of like a newsgroup, but with known
> contributors. Finding that balance between open for everybody even under
> an assumed name and being resistant to SPAM will be difficult. I admit.
> But let's see how they will handle that.

Possibly, if you can add recipients afterwards, but also that puts the
jobload over you. With newsgroups/forums usually anyone can join the
system and also read the messages from the past.

-Aero