POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
22 May 2024 03:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: scott
Date: 19 Nov 2009 10:12:12
Message: <4b05604c@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Cweb.4b02da71bde7fd6d299b4a940%40news.povray.org%3E/
> That 256x256x256 df3 took a few minutes to generate on my machine, so the
> proof of concept works.

Hehe I just did the same :-)  Mine was 1024x1024x1024 df3 file which took
about half an hour multithreaded under c#.net (I decided the speedup I could
get by easy multithreading in c# outweighed the speedup I could get with C++
over C#).  The render only took about 2 minutes, it's just an isosurface and
a few lights.

> I haven't optimized the code too far yet, it's still using the trig
> functions, but it can be used for any value N.

Yeh mine too, it looks like there should be a way to lose the trig even with
N=8, but it might get a bit scary...

> Unfortunately it's not multi-threaded yet either, but as soon as I learn a
> bit more about how to write that, the structure of the code will require
> very little modification to allow that.

Yeh, I chose to do it under C# because it's very easy to do the
multithreading on there and I have no experience of doing multithreading on
normal C++.  I just wanted to get something working this afternoon to see
what it looked like.

The issue is that the isosurface is still made up of millions of little cube
shaped voxels, I think the only way to improve that is to write a
fractal-ray tracer too!  Or maybe patch POV...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mandelbulb.jpg' (112 KB)

Preview of image 'mandelbulb.jpg'