POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Intelligence test : Re: Intelligence test Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intelligence test
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Nov 2009 07:36:13
Message: <4b053bbd$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> The user space coordinate system depends on the device space coordinate
> system. By default, the mapping between them is an identity transformation.

Yes. This much is stated explicitly.

> I think most device spaces have (0,0) in the upper left corner, but I am
> not sure if that is a requirement or a coincidence.

For raster image formats (JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF...) this is true.

However, for both PostScript and PDF [the formats I'm actually
interested in], the default origin point is actually the bottom-left
corner, not the top-left.

In addition to this, both of these formats allow the coordinate space to
be arbitrarily transformed. (Cairo provides the same functionallity
itself as well, but PS and PDF have it natively.) So I'm not sure if
Cairo is using the native defaults, or transforming them to match the
other backends, or...?

> No, I did not figure this out by reading the Cairo documentation, which
> seems to consist mostly of Doxygen-style pseudo-docs.

Yeah, it is a little... sparse?