POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Nov 2009 05:02:32
Message: <4b0517b8$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oh, and are any of these things sufficiently *documented*?
>
> Differs. Most settings dialogs come with a "help" button that works and
> tooltips that do help - a few don't, which is somewhat annoying,
> especially when there is a help button, but all you get from it is an
> error message.

Ooo, I *love* this! Loads of Windows programs have a big help button,
but when you click it you get absolutely nothing of use.

Sometimes you get a help page for the whole dialog box, containing such
gems as "Use SCSI encapsulation - Turn this on if you want to use SCSI
command encapsulation". Well, gee, now it all makes sense!

Sometimes you get an error message. (Oh THAT helps me!)

But, in the vast majority of cases, NOTHING HAPPENS. Absolutely nothing.
Not even a "sorry, we haven't written the help file yet". Just nothing.