POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Nov 2009 04:30:10
Message: <4b051022$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wait - you mean if somebody is in a contract, it's not necessarily
>> enforcible?
>
> Generally, in civilized countries, there are things you can't put into a
> contract and have enforced. You can write them in, but you can't get the
> government to force you to obey them.

Does this mean that all that M$ stuff about "we technically own your PC
now and you can't stop us doing anything we want to it" is not actually
legally binding?

Suddenly EULAs take on a whole different hue...

(E.g., presumably you can't write an EULA that says in the small print
"by using this software you agree to surrender your first-born child to
us". Or rather, you *can*, it just won't mean squat.)

> For example, in California (since we're so big on start-ups), if I
> create something on my own time with my own money and equipment, it
> belongs to me even *if* it's *directly* in competition with the employer
> I was working for.
>
> In Pennsylvania (where I grew up), the company was allowed to keep you
> from working for any competitor that sold the same thing to the same
> customers for something like 6 months or a year or so.

Interesting.

I wonder how any of this applies to the UK. Hmm, Phil would know!