POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots : Re: Rendering technology Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering technology
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Nov 2009 15:11:14
Message: <4b0454e2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Any idea how you render something like this?
>>
>> I mean, I suppose you could use a sphere-tracing algorithm like
>> POV-Ray's isosurface{} construct. But is there any better way?
>
> Marching cubes?

You'd need a *hell* of a lot of RAM to store a mesh of anything
approaching the necessary resolution - and you'd waste time and space
computing high-resolution data for parts of the model that are occluded
or very distant.

Plain ordinary sphere tracing avoids both of these problems. But that's
designed to work for isosurfaces of arbitrary functions. I'm wondering
if there's some way we can use the specific characteristics of this
function to make the process faster. (E.g., it's iterative, it's a known
polynomial, etc.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/