POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? : Re: Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opensuse 11 Live CD problem?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 18 Nov 2009 15:03:40
Message: <4b04531c@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   I don't understand why linux would modify the frequency/timings of cpu
>>   and
>> memory, and even if it did, why it would have to modify BIOS to do that.
>
> Actually, during boot-up, something along the lines of "installing new
> microcode" or "installing new firmware" or something like that scrolls by.
> That always worried me, but I figured it either got reversed at the next
> reboot or it was too late to do anything about it, and it never caused any
> trouble.

CPUs have volatile memory to store microcode updates. If an OS, during
bootup, loads microcode into your CPU and screws things up, reboot and it's
gone.

Many pieces of hardware have a similar thing for firmware, except that it's
not for "updating". If the device driver doesn't load the firmware into the
device, then it won't work at all, or it will lack features.

In any case, it's volatile memory (that's why it's being done on boot).