POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 18 Nov 2009 13:52:21
Message: <4b044265$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>     Why do people have icons on their desktop?
>
> I only have stuff I'm working on. It bugs me to no end that I'll download
> something and it'll get put in some obscure "downloads" directory. No, I'd
> like to work on it. I have icons on my desktop just like I have papers and
> pens and coffee mugs on my desktop.
>
> I don't put *programs* on my desktop, like so many others do.
>
> If you want really quick access, that's what the "quick start" bar is for.
> And honestly I only ever use that at work where it's the same 4 programs
> I'm using to do my job over and over.

KDE4 desktop doesn't support icons anymore. The feature was removed.

Instead, there is a "folder view" plasmoid that you can put anywhere on the
desktop, and shows the contents of an arbitrary folder.

If that folder happens to be ~/Desktop, and the plasmoid is resized to cover
the entire screen, you get quite close to the previous behavior. But who
would want *that*? Now you have way more flexibility!