POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Nov 2009 12:50:05
Message: <4b0433cd@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Wait - you mean if somebody is in a contract, it's not necessarily
> enforcible?

Generally, in civilized countries, there are things you can't put into a
contract and have enforced. You can write them in, but you can't get the
government to force you to obey them.

For example, in California (since we're so big on start-ups), if I create
something on my own time with my own money and equipment, it belongs to me
even *if* it's *directly* in competition with the employer I was working for.

In Pennsylvania (where I grew up), the company was allowed to keep you from
working for any competitor that sold the same thing to the same customers
for something like 6 months or a year or so.  I.e., if you sold copiers, you
could keep me from leaving but still selling copiers to your current
customers for six months. I could go to a different state and sell copiers,
or I could sell cash registers, but you couldn't stop me from working elsewhere.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     Is God willing to prevent phrogams, but not able?