POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Nov 2009 11:21:51
Message: <4b041f1f$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/18/09 02:10, scott wrote:
>> Sadly, here in the US it's common to have people graduating with a
>> bachelor's degree in engineering who've forgotten most of calculus
>
> Yeh see I don't think that could happen here. My course was 4 years (as
> are most Engineering degrees in the UK now), in the 1st year they
> *really* quickly skipped over all A level maths (which was the
> foundations of calculus) and then jumped on to fourier transforms (and
> friends), vector calculus and stuff. The reason for this was clear, all

	Over here, while many do it in high school, almost all engineering
programs have up to 3 semesters of calculus in undergrad (sometimes one
can "test out" of those if their high school education was good enough).

	I've been to both a low ranked university (undergrad) and a top
engineering university (grad). In both places, I complained that the
upper level (undergrad) engineering courses rarely required the students
to be able to solve differential equations or perform integrals. The
exception was electromagnetics, where you just can't do without them.
And some courses would require it for calculating Fourier
coefficients/transforms, but those weren't challenging integrals. In all
other courses where, say, a diff eq would crop up, the professor would
almost always say - "Let's not get distracted by the math - this is an
engineering course. Here's the solution: You can verify it by plugging
it back into the diff eq."

	It probably wasn't always this way.

--
I didn't know my husband drank until one day he came home sober.