POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Biology question : Re: Biology question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Biology question
From: John VanSickle
Date: 18 Nov 2009 07:27:24
Message: <4b03e82c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Why is it that when a dead animal rots, it's one of the strongest and
> worst smells in existence (so bad that it even sticks to any surfaces
> nearby and is extremely hard to get rid of), but when a dead tree rots,
> the smell is not bad at all (in fact, it could even be considered pleasant)
> and doesn't stick so much?

Probably because we don't eat trees, but do eat animals.  Spoiled meat
contains some of the most lethal microbes and toxins known.  Therefore,
to prevent untimely demise, we have a keen sense of smell to detect the
most common dangers that could be mistaken for food.

If we were in the habit of eating trees, and if eating a rotten tree was
a quick way to the next life, rotting trees would stink to our senses.

Regards,
John