POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Nov 2009 05:18:51
Message: <4b03ca0b$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> This is exactly what has been happening in France with France Telecom
> (aka Orange). It took around 25 suicides (a guy even stabbed himself in
> the stomach during a meeting) for things to become public. It's been a
> matter a national debate in the past months and some corporate heads
> were cut. It's difficult to say if things are really going to change but
> at least the victims are no longer alone wondering what they did wrong.
> In any case, it's really a matter of employees banding together, going
> public with this and making as much noise as possible. The harassement
> methods you describe are 100% identical to those used by FT (down to the
> people targeted by the bullying, i.e. senior engineers), so there's a
> precedent for it.

In the current financial times, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few
companies have taken it into their heads to start doing this kind of thing.

Usually, if you treat your employees badly, they'll just quit, and then
you have a Big Problem. In the current conditions, people are rather
unlikely to quit, because there's nowhere to go. Plus the companies
themselves are presumably feeling the pinch and looking to cut corners
to save money. What could be cheaper than keeping your current workforce
and just forcing them to work harder?

What to do about this is another matter... If the comments of the
psychologist are anything to go by, you'd think there would be a fairly
strong case to answer.