POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: MS Windows Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MS Windows
From: scott
Date: 18 Nov 2009 05:02:51
Message: <4b03c64b$1@news.povray.org>
> You could even 'save' the file in this manner into another open
> application. For
> example, a graph program would save a standard vector-graphics file, but
> if you
> wanted to use the graph directly you'd just 'save' it staight into your
> document processor window and it would be inserted at the caret.

Today it seems that Copy&Paste between applications has replaced this.  I
use Ctrl-C Ctrl-V the whole time for moving things between applications.

> In fact, RISCOS's drag-and-drop was standardized and integrated to a
> degree I've
> not seen in any OS GUI since. Any file could be dropped into any filer
> window or any application window, or onto the taskbar or the application
> icon
> (obviously it was up to the application to deal with it sensibly - but 99%
> of
> them did). And this was 20 years ago. :)

Yeh it's a shame, there were some good ideas there.

Other things that were nice:

Using Right Mouse Button to select an item from the menu left the menu open
after doing the command.  This was really useful when you wanted to select
several menu items in succession, especially if they were nested menus.

When you dragged a scroll-bar the pointer was locked to move only in the
direction of the scroll bar, this meant you couldn't "slip" off the edge the
scroll bar and lose the grip.

A window that had gained focus didn't automatically become the top-most
window.  This was really useful if you are trying to type something into a
document while looking at something else.  Today I find myself fiddling
about with resizing and moving windows unnecessarily so I can type while
seeing some other window.

I'm sure there are other things, I'm going to get my old A3010 from my
parents attic at xmas to see if it will fire up.  I hope it does, there's
120MB of retro greatness on it :-D