POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : which mathematics does POV-Ray use? : Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Nov 2009 04:30:29
Message: <4b03beb5@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> marky.addison schrieb:
>
>> I am trying to figure out what mathematics does POV-Ray use.
>> Does it use more Raytracing or Radiosity or it combines both?
>
> Normally it uses raytracing, unless you explicitly tell it to also
> include radiosity (note that the term may be ambiguous; a more fitting
> term would have been "ambient illumination", but that term was already
> occupied in POV-Ray for a quite cheap approximation thereof).
>
>> How does it make shadows (isn't it with radiosity)?
>
> No, ambient illumination kicks in regardless of whether a surface is
> exposed to direct light or not (although its effect is most obvious in
> shadows).
>
>> So I need some formulas, integrals and derivatives so I can
>> better understand how it works.
>
> If you want to know how it /works/, you should ask for algorithms. I
> guess what you want to know is what these algorithms /represent/ in
> mathematical terms.

The answer probably should be that anybody who wants to know how ray-tracing
works should take a good look at the available literature. And that really
is not hard to find thanks to the documentation:
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/211/>

Plus Andrew Glassner's Principles of Digital Image Synthesis,
Morgan-Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, 1995, which has a lot of formulas
inside and is way more theoretical than useful :-)

	Thorsten