POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: scott
Date: 18 Nov 2009 03:10:26
Message: <4b03abf2$1@news.povray.org>
> Sadly, here in the US it's common to have people graduating with a
> bachelor's degree in engineering who've forgotten most of calculus

Yeh see I don't think that could happen here.  My course was 4 years (as are
most Engineering degrees in the UK now), in the 1st year they *really*
quickly skipped over all A level maths (which was the foundations of
calculus) and then jumped on to fourier transforms (and friends), vector
calculus and stuff.  The reason for this was clear, all the other lecturers
were obviously waiting for the maths course to be done so they could start
using the "real" maths in their courses.

> any math course). So perhaps the industry in the US has somewhat shifted
> not to expect them to know it, and thus most don't hire them for jobs that
> require it.

I don't think many jobs here explicitly require it, but it is kind of
expected that if you have an Engineering degree you will at least know how
to perform basic calculus by hand, and of course know the concepts.

I guess it's similar to whether you know how to write Excel macros or not -
hardly any job is going to ask for it, yet if you know how to do it it's
going to make life quite a lot easier in many situations that arise (and
make your boss think you are clever!).