POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: clipka
Date: 17 Nov 2009 22:13:37
Message: <4b036661$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> Another thing bothering me about KDE4 is its standard of
>> single-clicking a highlighted item to activate it, but they can't be
>> blamed for me being so accustomed to the Windows Way,
>
> That really hasn't been the "Windows Way" since they came out with
> Active Desktop 10+ years ago. If you want that behavior on Windows, you
> can turn it on too. (I thought it had been the default at least since
> 2000 or XP.)

It used to be the default when they first introduced it, but I can't
remember having seen it actually used by anyone anywhere, so I'm pretty
sure they quickly changed it back. (Can't say from my own installations;
maybe they ask and I just choose double-clicking as a subconscious
reflex reaction, maybe they default to double-clicking without asking;
what I can tell for sure though is that they don't just default to
single-clicking. Vista and 7 may be yet different though.)

>> Ah well, and did I mention that KDE4 uses a totally different font
>> size in a XDMCP login than it does when logged in locally?
>
> Don't fonts always come from the local machine? Or did they fix this in
> X by now?

I have no idea. I just noticed that old Debian "Etch" 4.0r5 Gnome got it
right without me intervening, while openSUSE KDE4 messes up.

>> And my, this one-click-to-activate thing is more addictive than I
>> thought... I guess I'll turn it back on again...
>
> any explorer window: Tools->Folder Options->General...  in Windows.
> And yes, it's much more handy, especially if there's easily found areas
> of the screen where clicking does *not* select anything.

KDE4 (at least the Dolphin file manager does it right by giving
somewhere on the icons to click on in order to select instead of
activate. Not sure whether I really want it on in Windows, due to a lack
of such sugar.