POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 17 Nov 2009 17:20:01
Message: <4b032191@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Having to click on something before you can scroll it with the wheel is
> not only useless, but also can cause unwanted behavior because none of the
> mouse buttons simply *selects* the window you click on. If you click on an
> active element, that element will also be *activated*, possibly performing
> an unwanted operation by mistake. And no, I don't want to have to click on
> the title bar of a window before I can scroll it with the mouse wheel.

On Mac, clicking on an inactive window brings it to the front without
sending the click to the application code, so it won't activate elements.

On some apps.

Some other apps override that behavior, making it useless, since you're
never sure if a click will activate an element or not (depends on whether
that app overrode the click-through behavior or not).

Why does Apple get *almost* everything right? The details they get wrong are
usually *very* annoying.