POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Warp
Date: 17 Nov 2009 14:47:42
Message: <4b02fdde@news.povray.org>
> The scroll-wheel-switches-desktops thingie Warp is so fond of I find
> actually quite annoying, can't think of how anyone might like it - as it
> has the scroll wheel change functionality dramatically depending on what
> the mouse cursor is currently hovering over.

  On the contrary, I find Windows' behavior with the mouse wheel absolutely
irritating.

  *Of course* the mouse wheel behavior should depend on where the cursor
is currently, exactly in the same way as *clicking*. I'm accustomed to use
the mouse wheel in the exact same way as I use the other mouse buttons:
I point where I want the scrolling to happen, and roll the wheel, and I
expect that thing I'm pointing at to scroll, in the exact same way that
if I point to something and left-click, I expect that thing to be selected,
or if I right-click for a context menu for the pointed thing to pop up.

  When Windows refuses to do this, it's extremely irritating. I constantly
find miself scrolling something else than what I want to scroll because
Windows refuses to scroll what I'm pointing at.

  Having to click on something before you can scroll it with the wheel is
not only useless, but also can cause unwanted behavior because none of the
mouse buttons simply *selects* the window you click on. If you click on an
active element, that element will also be *activated*, possibly performing
an unwanted operation by mistake. And no, I don't want to have to click on
the title bar of a window before I can scroll it with the mouse wheel.

  Thus it's not surprising that I find switching desktops with the mouse
wheel quite natural: If I "scroll" the desktop background, it jumps to the
virtual desktop in that direction.

--
                                                          - Warp