POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Facebook : Re: Facebook Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facebook
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 17 Nov 2009 13:44:35
Message: <4b02ef13$1@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:
> I'm amused at how so many people become fan of something very unlikeable.
> For example, here in Belgium internetconnections are waaaay too expensive.
> Now a couple of my facebookfriends apparantly became a fan of that:
> "[names removed] became fans of INTERNET IN BELGIE IS TE DUUR!"
> (translated: "... became fans of INTERNET IN BELGIUM IS TOO EXPENSIVE!")
>
> or becoming a fan of things like "I don't smoke"... I doubt that's what
> they mean... they might be a fan of non-smokers, but I highly doubt that
> they're a fan of the fact that the writer, the 'I' (whoever that is)
> doesn't smoke.

You know that's actually not following Facebook rules? Those should have
been *groups* (which you join), not pages (which you become a fan of).

I can't make a Page for "POV-Ray" for people to become fans of. Someone from
the POV team has to do it, or I'll be violating the terms of service. And a
page called "I don't smoke" just doesn't make sense.

However, the vast majority of users are largely unaware of the difference
and use pages and groups interchangably. Despite the fact that creating a
page makes you write your full name as a signature, to say that you are a
rightful representative of the subject matter of the page.

Users Don't Read.