POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Nov 2009 12:06:27
Message: <4b02d813$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/17/09 09:50, scott wrote:
>> Sure, but not that much. I know people who've correctly used computers
>> to do this while they thought that the integral of a product is the
>> product of the integrals.
>
> Let's hope they're not involved in any safety critical projects then :-)

	You're in the UK, and that may make the difference. I know that in the
distant past, it was significantly challenging to get admission into a
UK university to do engineering. So it would make sense if over there
it's common for engineers to use calculus. For lesser jobs, you have
people who don't have engineering degrees (technical degrees, associates
degrees, etc).

	In the US, people with engineering degrees do both those kinds of jobs
- it spans a wider spectrum. Which is why perhaps most jobs here that
require an engineering degree often don't require calculus. Hence the
analogy with programming and computer science.

	Sadly, here in the US it's common to have people graduating with a
bachelor's degree in engineering who've forgotten most of calculus (they
weren't bad at it - that person I mentioned never got less than an A in
any math course). So perhaps the industry in the US has somewhat shifted
not to expect them to know it, and thus most don't hire them for jobs
that require it.

	Of course, some jobs simply *require* it (e.g. electromagnetics related
jobs). And they do hire people with BSc degrees. But of course, they
make sure they know calculus in the interview.

	My experience is limited to electrical engineering. It may be different
in other engineerings.

--
Be independent! No, not that way! This way!