POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2009 11:17:57
Message: <4b02ccb5$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Another thing bothering me about KDE4 is its standard of single-clicking
> a highlighted item to activate it, but they can't be blamed for me being
> so accustomed to the Windows Way,

That really hasn't been the "Windows Way" since they came out with Active
Desktop 10+ years ago. If you want that behavior on Windows, you can turn it
on too. (I thought it had been the default at least since 2000 or XP.)

On the other hand, it bugs me when I have that on in Linux desktops and
double-clicks bring up the application twice.  Duh.

> (To be honest, Windows to some degree does the same thing, routing
> scroll wheel events to whatever the mouse cursor is hovering over;

I wish Vista consistently worked that way. :-) I find the Windows mouse
scroll usually useless in Vista, altho I don't remember being annoyed by it
in XP. Maybe they changed something subtle.

> Ah well, and did I mention that KDE4 uses a totally different font size
> in a XDMCP login than it does when logged in locally?

Don't fonts always come from the local machine? Or did they fix this in X by
now?

> And my, this one-click-to-activate thing is more addictive than I
> thought... I guess I'll turn it back on again...

any explorer window: Tools->Folder Options->General...  in Windows.
And yes, it's much more handy, especially if there's easily found areas of
the screen where clicking does *not* select anything.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)