POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: scott
Date: 17 Nov 2009 10:32:01
Message: <4b02c1f1@news.povray.org>
> Ah, but that's the great thing about monopolies, isn't it? Your skills are
> only relevant to the company that holds the monopoly.

Seems unlikely, she works for BT IIRC?  It's not like there aren't any other
companies doing what BT do.

> Besides, who's going to hire an old fat women approaching retirement age?

As I said, I have seen lots of old professional people switch companies,
I've even seen some take early retirement and then become consultants
working for the company they left!  If she is really that close to
retirement then has she considered just retiring now?  Is it really worth
all the phyiscal and mental pain for having more money for a couple of
years?  If she's spent a whole career as a highly experienced engineer she
can't be that badly off.

> When the company itself has decided they want to get rid of you, is
> complaining to the company really going to get results?

Yes, because usually the people handling the complaints are independent of
the people making such decisions about getting rid of people.  A lot of
companies employ 3rd party moderators to assist in such internal complain
procedures, I'm not sure if that is law or not.

> Who do you complain about? It's not just one person, it's the whole
> system.

Well if people are doing things like shouting at you for 20 minutes or
sending threatening letters, then complain about them.  If it's not their
fault (eg they were told to by their boss) then complain about them instead.

> Not sure what else there is.

http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/

Or go to court.

But be sure you know your rights and have proof of the employer acting
illegally before you go down those route.  Having evidence of a failed
internal complaint procedure will greatly help.