POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: MS Windows Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MS Windows
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Nov 2009 09:11:07
Message: <4b02aefb$1@news.povray.org>
>> First, clicking on a window brings it to the foreground. You migth say
>> "well how else could it possibly work?" But back in the days of AmigaOS,
>> clicking a window gives it focus, but doesn't actually raise it to the
>> top of the screen.
>
> My single biggest gripe with every modern windowing gui. Acorn's RISCOS also had
> the feature you describe. Maybe it's just the workflow habits I got into back
> then, but to this day I am continually vexed by MS's windows jumping to the top
> of the stack as soon as you glance at them.

Under X11, you just need to write a custom window manager and you can
change this. Under Windows, you can write a new Explorer UI, but I don't
think you can actually change the window focus behaviour...

>> (On the other hand, under AmigaOS, if the raise and lower buttons are
>> obscured, you can't raise or lower the window, which is arguably far
>> more annoying.)
>
> Under RISCOS, clicking any window control (including the titlebar) brought it to
> the front.

Yes, it's hardly a difficult problem to solve. It's just that AmigaOS
didn't have a solution.

>> Also, which moron decided that clicking something twice on the task bar
>> should minimize it? I never *ever* want this to happen!
>
> I find that one handy - it's a much bigger target than the minimise icon! :)

And I find it irritating that when I'm flicking through half a dozen
windows, if I accidentally click on the window that happens to be
selected already, it tries to minimise it.

Maybe I'm biased because on my ancient PC, minimising and maximising
windows is quite a slow operation... But, in general, I never minimize
windows at all. (Except to reach the desktop.)

I will say, though, that the taskbar itself is a nice idea. (Under
AmigaOS, you could sometimes "lose" windows if you couldn't find a way
to bring them to the front. The default Workbench window is always
fullscreen...)