POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : memory usage & large number of objects : Re: memory usage & large number of objects Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:50:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory usage & large number of objects
From: Folkert van Heusden
Date: 17 Nov 2009 07:01:55
Message: <4b0290b3$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm trying to render a scene with a large number of objects (scene
>> generated by a 3D fractal); 3 milion and more objects. As you'll
>> understand this will use a lot of memory. Now I was wondering: what
>> object is the most memory efficient?
>
> If triangles will suffice, then generating a mesh should be the most
> efficient.

Will try.
But are you sure? As you then have twice as much objects.
Or are boxes internally split-up in 6 x 2 (2 triangles per side)
triangles?

>> Also I set for each object the color but it is the same color for all
>> of them. Maybe that can be optimized?
> Far more efficient to use a single texture/material applied to the
> aggregate object.

What do you mean with aggregate? According to wikipedia it means
composite (am not a native speaker. Does that mean with respect to povray
something like this?

#declare myobj =
        box { <0, 0, 0>, <1, 1, 1> texture { pigment { rgb <0.25, 1.0,
0.25 } } }

and then use

object { myobj rotate <somevalue> translate <someohter> }

?