POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More technical WTF : Re: More technical WTF Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More technical WTF
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 17 Nov 2009 06:03:42
Message: <4b02830e@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Sure. Assuming you can figure out how to make an MS-DOS boot disk, load
> the BIOS image from somewhere (not from the HD, because there aren't any
> DOS drivers for the RAID controller), and reflash the BIOS. It's not a
> trivial undertaking.

Yes, is not trivial but once you know how to do it is easy, you can put
everything on a CD you don't need anything else:

Make a Boot-CD with a burning app., I use Nero 6.6 (yeah is old but fast
and reliable), then add a 8.3 folder and put the BIOS and the flash
utility, burn it at the slowest speed possible (I recommend 1X) always
with very on. Nero 6.6 uses DR-DOS, which has NTFS drivers, among other
drivers, in case the flash utility needs to load the BIOS with write
rights (is dumb, I know, BIOS are not written but that's the way the
flash utility works in rare occasions, if you have only RAID try a USB
Flash sitck). That's it, just skip (F8) some drivers that you don't need
(keyboard, display, NTFS, FAT32, USB, etc) in case the flash utility
gives a "Out of memory" message error.

  If you still need more memory it gets a little complicated but it can
be solved if you're patience enough:
- Download a virtual floppy
(http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html), is fairly simple,
"create a floppy" on the HDD, boot formate it with WinXP (will create a
WinME boot floppy). Here you might want to edit 'autoexec.bat' and/or
'config.sys' to save even more memory (remember to save the floppy). Go
to your burning app. and indicate it to use the created floppy on the
virtual drive, and from here is just the same as before.

Modern BIOS now are like drivers, the BIOS updater runs on the given OS
and it just need a reboot, is really easy.

Sometimes a BIOS update is necessary for the MoBo to perform at peak
speed, I have experience this first hand with a couple of Intel D865
MoBos, they increased their speed by a fair 50-80%, they're slow out of
the box, so don't be afraid to update your BIOS.

> I'm reminded of the synthesizer I saw reviewed. The reviewer was rather
> critical of the fact that 1) it crashes a lot, and 2) in order to edit
> *all* of the parameters, you need to use the Mac-based editor program,
> which costs additional money...

That would be a most troubled product, bad luck I guess.

Cheers.