POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast : Re: Reminiscences of an Old Fart Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reminiscences of an Old Fart
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Nov 2009 04:37:27
Message: <4b026ed7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> which I could instantly recognize even today.
>
> That's hardcore. :-)

That's nothing.

I saved specially designed images to tape to try to reverse-engineer the
algorithm for turning colours into tones. I figured out that if you save
in image composed of horizontal bands of colour, the tape contained a
series of long, continuous tones, and they changed order depending on
which colours you used.

(Recall that the Spectrum stores scanlines in a weird order though...)