POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Highlander Process : Re: Highlander Process Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlander Process
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2009 22:12:24
Message: <4b021498$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> Is this some kind of Highlander process, that's immune to any fatal
>> wounds, and wants all the power for itself??
>
> If something can't be killed with -9, you can be sure something in the
> *kernel side* is causing problems.
>
> A hung FUSE filesystem sometimes caused me such unkillable processes :/

Well, whatever the underlying reason was, it is gone, hopefully for
good; most likely one of the following fixed it:

- Changed screen resolution from 800x600 @ 16bit to 1280x1024 @ 24bit.
In my first install attempt I had set the resolution to 1280x1024 right
from the start, but in the subsequent install attempts I was lazy about it.

- Moved all the contents of the user's home directory into a
subdirectory thereof. As mentioned already, /home resides on a separate
partition, and wasn't rebuilt from scratch during the subsequent install
attempts.

I tend to suspect the latter, actually.