POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Highlander Process : Re: Highlander Process Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlander Process
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2009 21:51:01
Message: <4b020f95$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> Is this some kind of Highlander process, that's immune to any fatal
>> wounds, and wants all the power for itself??
>
> If something can't be killed with -9, you can be sure something in the
> *kernel side* is causing problems.
>
> A hung FUSE filesystem sometimes caused me such unkillable processes :/

How can I tell whether a filesystem is running as FUSE?

Some other observations that may hint in a similar direction:

- The lockup occurs when I log in as a normal user, but when I log in as
root everything is shiny. Now the /home directories are actually on a
different partition. (fsck -f does not report anything suspicious for
that partition though.)

- Aside from Xorg eating a full core's power, I typically also see about
50% of another core's time being eaten by a process named
"hald-addon-stor", which I think can't be right either.