POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Highlander Process : Re: Highlander Process Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlander Process
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Nov 2009 21:34:17
Message: <4b020ba9$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Is this some kind of Highlander process, that's immune to any fatal
> wounds, and wants all the power for itself??

That usually means it's in a kernel critical section. Altho I've never seen
it happen with a process that's at 100%. Usually it's blocked on a "fast"
kernel operation (i.e., anything you can't get back EINTR from) that just
never completed properly. In this case, I'd suspect it's busy-looping
probably somewhere in a driver.

In any case, it's clearly a kernel problem.  Even when it's technically not
a kernel bug, it's a kernel misdesign wherein something that should be
interruptable (like a "fast open") winds up being slow because someone stuck
a network in the middle or something.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)