POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Nov 2009 16:22:54
Message: <4b01c2ae$1@news.povray.org>
>> Some people use log to mean base-10. Some use it to mean an unspecified
>> base. But (arguably) *most* geniune maths sources use it to mean the
>> natural logarithm.
>
> Just looked at wikipedia - it seems you can tell a person's primary field by the
> base they expect log x to be in!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm#Notations_of_bases_and_implicit_bases

Crazy stuff, eh?

>> It's a standard convention.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime-counting_function
>
> I did not know that :-)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people working on
number theory and investigating the properties of prime numbers didn't
need to know about the circumference of a circle. ;-)

I've also seen pi used more than once as a general variable, rather than
a function name or a mathematical constant. This is why you see phrases
like "e^(i x) where e is the base of natural logarithms and i is the
imaginary unit". Because otherwise it's horrifyingly ambiguous.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/