POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : which mathematics does POV-Ray use? : Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use?
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2009 15:29:39
Message: <4b01b633$1@news.povray.org>
marky.addison schrieb:

> what I need are differential equations that POV-Ray uses.
> Can you send me some link. Thanks!

Could you be somewhat more specific?

At its core, raytracing is about vector math, not differential
equations. There are pretty likely some underlying differential
equations involved for stuff like the fresnel formula used in
refraction, or the phong / blinn-phong highlights, but someone else
wrecked their brains earlier to come up with quite simple equations,
with all integrals or derivatives either solved or approximated already.

As for radiosity, it does perform some integration, but it does so
numerically using a monte-carlo-like approach.

I really wouldn't know off the top of my head where you expect to be
differential equations involved.