POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : blank CD-R media rot? : Re: blank CD-R media rot? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blank CD-R media rot?
From: clipka
Date: 16 Nov 2009 15:15:53
Message: <4b01b2f9@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:
> How do you know burning the image did not work?

Multiple symptoms:

* Verify of CDBurnerXP warned that verify failed in both attempts.

* Copying one of the CDs burned with CDBurnerXP to hard disk failed.

* Booting another computer from the CD (an openSUSE installation image)
worked, but the inbuilt "check installation medium" (or whatever it's
called) ran on a CRC error in one case, and some other error in another
case.

> Or did you just try to use the burned DVD and it did not work? Then maybe
> the original image-file contains crap. Had this once, burned an image file,
> tried to open it, it did not work. Did it again, still did not work. Then
> looked at the image file using DAEMON tools and found that the data mastered
> in the DVD-image was invalid - the image file was OK, though.

Ran an md5 check on the image, and it was ok. Being an official openSUSE
11.2 installer image, I guess Jim will confirm that we can rule out bad
mastering :-)

> Apart from this, if store CD/DVD improperly you can damage them. Never
> expose them to direct sunlight for any long period of time, never store them
> where it is too hot or too dusty.

Hm, now that you mention it... I'm not sure, I /might/ have kept them
for a while where they'd get a beam of direct sunlight for a few minutes
on a sunny day. Not sure though.

> Be careful where you put them - I once stacked some CD-R's one on the other.
> After a few years the cd-label marker I had used to label the CD-R diffused
> from the up-side of the bottom CD surface into the underside of the CD on
> top. I was lucky and the data was still readable, but this was a valuable
> lesson of "how NOT to do it".

They're still in the original cakebox; you'd expect that to be somehow
suitable for storage of CD-Rs ;-)