POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 : Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Nov 2009 19:48:21
Message: <4b00a155$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   However, if you have even slightly more exotic hardware (and sometimes
> even some quite common hardware) you might have to struggle for hours
> before you will get the system fully working.

Even with pretty simple hardware, I usually wind up installing a new Windows
three or four times on the first day before I get everything working the way
I want.  Of course, I notice when something's broken, so maybe that's part
of the explanation.  Like on this machine, some audio-based process sucked
up a constant 10% CPU time even when the machine was idle, until I avoided
installing the manufacturer's custom driver for something unrelated (screen?
Keyboard? Network? Some such nonsense that came with the machine) and used
the one off Windows Update.  I'm sure many people wouldn't have even noticed
that the distro that came with the machine was broken.

I check the Device Manager for "didn't install" devices and see if I can
resolve it, too, which often takes a few tries to get right.

I've used only a few different Linux's, but I have to say that Warp's advice
to use OpenSuSE was spot on the money if you don't know what you're doing
already.

>   And be careful if you try to install Linux on a *secondary* partition,

Oh, that's the other thing that takes a while to figure out on each new
Windows install. :)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)