POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 : Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
From: Warp
Date: 15 Nov 2009 18:50:12
Message: <4b0093b4@news.povray.org>
> - According to information on the Debian wiki, Lenny is supposed to use
> KDE 3.5.
> - The "kde" main package and a few others have version number "5:48".
> - Most other pagages named "kde*" bear version numbers "4:3.5.some".
> - Yet others bear version numbers "4:4.1.some" (some of them are titled
> kdebase-runtime*".

> Anyone have some idea how to interpret this?

  KDE (and most windowing systems in general) are quite flexible with
regard to their own version and the software versions which come bundled
with the windowing system. This means that if you have, eg. both KDE3 and
KDE4 installed in your system, you can eg. run KDE4 programs from KDE3 and
vice-versa. IIRC this goes so far that you can even run Gnome programs from
KDE, and probably the other way around. (I don't know if some programs
might present some incompatibilities if run from a different windowing
system than they were designed for, but I haven't sumbled on any yet.
Not that I use cross-system programs all that much, though.)

--
                                                          - Warp