POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 : Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Nov 2009 18:04:24
Message: <4b0088f8$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:19:07 +0100, clipka wrote:

> I can give (and actually did give, as you may recall ) an example of
> where Linux does /not/ "just work":

Oh, sure, I never said that one couldn't come up with a configuration
that didn't "just work" - and I would never make that claim.  But there
*are* people who make that claim about Windows, and that's a completely
false claim.

It isn't about having administration experience, either - I was talking
purely about the installation, which doesn't require any admin experience
for either OS platform.  I was merely talking about hardware a detection
comparison on identical hardware and the challenges I had in getting Win7
to work on hardware that openSUSE 11.2 installed, configured, and found
all hardware properly for.

I agree, though, that ultimately the idea that any OS "just works" out of
the box is a myth as long as the software vendor has no control over all
the hardware (which MacOS may have as an advantage - not all hardware,
but certainly the hardware categories that Windows and Linux have issues
with.

Jim