POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 : Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
From: clipka
Date: 15 Nov 2009 17:19:44
Message: <4b007e80@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:

> Yeah, I know - and yet there are still claims that Windows "Just works"
> and Linux doesn't.

I can give (and actually did give, as you may recall :-)) an example of
where Linux does /not/ "just work":

When I got my AMD Phenom machine, I installed Debian "Etch" 4.0r5 on it
out-of-the-box. Everything /seemed/ to be fine, until I discovered that
something was wrong with the system time: The clock ran double speed!

Now you would think that this is a pretty basic and non-complex
functionality. Still Linux managed to get it wrong.

And it's not like fixing such things would be easy with Linux - at least
that's how it appears to me: By now it "just works" in many cases, but
when it doesn't and you don't happen to have administrative skills for
Linux, you're perfectly screwed. With Windows, OTOH, at least for such
basic stuff you're pretty likely to find something helpful on the
mainboard manufacturer's website.

I think the observation of most Linux users that Linux "just works" is
clouded by them typically having at least some basic experience in
administering Unix machines.

To add another thought, the idea that /any/ existing operating system
"just works" is pretty much a myth at present. I have /never ever/ seen
anyone just learning how to use a computer who didn't at one time or the
other have to get more experienced people fix things that got broken
/somehow/ (or never worked in the first place).

Well, maybe Mac comes close, at least that's the impression I got from
my first and only contact with a Mac and a user thereof.