POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast : Re: Computers are fast Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:37:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computers are fast
From: TC
Date: 15 Nov 2009 08:42:49
Message: <4b000559$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now, all this is almost 30 years past. Maybe I misremember the time it
>> took, but I doubt it.
>
> What I remember is that I was happy that it did it at all. Can't remember
> being frustrated by the speed. More a challenge than a frustration.

Of course! You are perfectly right. I was just comparing the past to the
modern times.

And although, with hindsight and compared to modern computers was terrible
slow, at the time it was new and terrible fast. I remember the times of the
slide-rule - compared to using a slide-rule a VIC was a racehorse. It even
had 5x more memory than the eagle which landed on the moon. Those were the
very first days on personal computing and even a pocket calculator was a
new, expensive and exciting device.

I remember buying a 16k expansion for my VIC at a price (allowing for
inflation) you can buy a quad core today. Then came graphics cards on the
IBM PC - high-res in black and white. And everybody loved it. At the VIC's
time this kind of graphics was better than the one a really expensive PC
could deliver.

At one time or the other I did own or use most types of personal computers:
owned a VIC, a C64, an Amiga, used Atari and IBM PC at university. PC-AT,
PC-XT, PS2 - the whole palette. Never owned a partially-eaten fruit, though.
;-)