POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2009 22:37:45
Message: <4afe2609$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:00:25 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> But consulting work does pay well; generally, it pays very well.
>
> Presumably because it's extremely high-stress work with no job security?

The successful consultants generally have job security because their
reputation precedes them.  As for the stress of the work - it pays enough
that the hours are largely consultant-selectable; I know several who have
no stress at all and make very good money just being "on retainer" for
critical system issues and remote administration for small businesses.

>> But one other thing that's fairly common is to buy a house and let the
>> value increase - and then sell it for the increased value and roll that
>> over into another house.  If one is smart about it, one can make a
>> pretty decent amount of money doing that through "trading up" like
>> that.  It's rare at least here for anyone to live in the same house
>> long enough to pay off a 30 year mortgage.
>
> ...which brings us back to my point of "if your house burns down, you
> now have an extremely serious financial problem". ;-)

And that brings me back to "that's what homeowner's insurance is for". ;-)

Jim