POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Closing a DVD drive's tray : Re: Closing a DVD drive's tray Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Closing a DVD drive's tray
From: somebody
Date: 13 Nov 2009 20:41:59
Message: <4afe0ae7$1@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen" <pov### [at] polardcom> wrote in message

> A friend of mine says doing it "my way" can damage the drive and / or the
> tray mechanism

Regular DVD drives are dirt cheap, so who cares? Not that I've seen a drive
damaged that way. The optical mechanism will die, get dusty, misaligned...
etc, or the technology will become obsolete long before failure due to
pushing the door. But if your friend is overly concerned about mechanical
failures, he shouldn't be pushing the button anyway (which also would
eventually fail) but use software "eject".