POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Closing a DVD drive's tray : Re: Closing a DVD drive's tray Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Closing a DVD drive's tray
From: TC
Date: 13 Nov 2009 18:32:58
Message: <4afdecaa$1@news.povray.org>
I am using CD/DVD drives since the earliest days of CD-ROM drives. If I
remember correctly I had my first drive in the early 1990's. I always closed
my drives your way and never, ever, did a single drive die because of this.
A few died from a bad case of acute CD-label detachment, though. More DVDs
became (temporarily) unreadable because of using aforementioned labels.

The gear mechanism that opens and closes the drive's tray is meant to
operate this way. You just should not use excessive force. And you should
wait until the drive is fully opened before you try to close it by pushing
the try in. If you don't wait, it should not matter much, either. Part of
the mechanism is a rubber band transmission that should just be skidding in
case you try to keep the try closed by force or try to prevent it from
closing by force. The mechanism is designed this way to prevent a stuck CD
from destroying the drive.

Now, if you use the "emergency eject" mechanism when a CD is stuck by
inserting a straightened paperclip into the "emergency eject hole" something
is likely to give. Hopefully the stuck CD will become unstuck, but if you
apply enough force something might actually break. So better pray to Anoia
before trying this ;-)