POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots : Re: Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots
From: stbenge
Date: 13 Nov 2009 15:36:04
Message: <4afdc334@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/mandelbulb.html#renders

A very interesting read, and some very beautiful renders! There is a lot
of "twisting and shearing" present, but nothing as bad as the quaternion
approach.

A linked page said this in reference to the lack of 3D rendering
software capable of producing the "true" 3D Mandlebrot: "Perhaps POVray
comes closest with its isosurface approach, but even then one can't use
local variables or constructs such as While loops."

That statement was true years ago, but it is not true today. The biggest
hurdle now is redefining functions, something which POV-Ray will not
allow. I think that limitation may be circumvented by juggling two
functions and #undef'ing them appropriately. I'm not sure how this would
work out, or if it would even work at all :/

Sam