POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color conversion : Re: Color conversion Server Time
5 May 2024 11:41:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color conversion
From: clipka
Date: 13 Nov 2009 15:34:20
Message: <4afdc2cc@news.povray.org>
scott schrieb:

> That isn't very scientific though, usually "white" in a strictly
> scientific way means equal energy across all relevant wavelengths (see
> "white noise" in audio).  The CIE colour matching functions were
> designed to give equal XYZ values when presented with a spectrum of
> "white" light such as this.

Okay, I think I get that.

So in /that/ context, there is no "whitepoint" involved, right? Or am I
getting something wrong here?

And when you add two spectral colors, still the whitepoint would not
come into play - presuming that color perception is linear, which seems
to be the case from all that scientists have found out. (Stop me when
I'm talking nonsense).

And with the sRGB color model, the same principle applies, because it is
just another choice of the coordinate axes in 3D color space (leaving
the transport function aside for now).

So as long as we're talking about some light color which we intend to
convert from XYZ to sRGB, we can happily forget about whitepoint: If we
shove a XYZ color into the transformation matrix that represents "white"
in the physical sense, then the sRGB color we get will just as well
represent "white" in the physical sense - right?

Thus, in order to "render" light of a certain color with know XYZ
coordinates on an sRGB "output channel" (be it a device, a file, or
whatever), we should just take the XYZ value we have, shove it through
the transformation matrix as defined in the sRGB standard, and live
happily ever after. As for viewing conditions, I would expect these to
be taken care of automatically by a properly calibrated display.

I just toyed around with the sRGB transformation matrix, leading me to
the conclusion that the XYZ color model must be using illuminant *E* (!)
(that is, equal physical light intensity) as its native "white" (i.e.
<1,1,1> - heck, I could have guessed that from the x,y coordinates of
the various illuminants), while "the" sRGB "white" (again <1,1,1>)
matches D65. (Ah-hah! So that's what the "display whitepoint" is
denoting in the sRGB specs.)

Okay, so I think I got it, as far as light goes. Now for the color of
surfaces:

In my naive mind, I would have presumed that to specify the color of a
surface via the CIE XYZ color system, one would specify the XYZ
coordinates of the diffusely reflected light when the surface in
question is subject to physically white light (i.e. illuminant E);
however, from your explanations I gather that this is /not/ the case, right?

Which raises the (possibly trivial) question, what exactly /is/ then
specified for color pigments? Is it, as I now tend to presume, the XYZ
coordinates of the diffusely reflected light when subject to illuminant
D65 instead?

Gee, that doesn't make it easier to come up with a sensible way of
proper color handling in POV-Ray...