POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 13 Nov 2009 13:43:21
Message: <4afda8c9@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> Well, let's think about this. The building could randomly implode
>
> Buildings don't randomly implode, they follow the laws of physics.  I
> would imagine firefighters are quite skilled at knowing what to look for
> to decide
> if a building is likely to collapse or not.  Even as a non-firefighter I
> am quite sure that if my cooker has been on fire for 5 minutes my house is
> not going to fall down, but if I see a wooden barn has been alight for
> half an hour I'm not going anywhere near it!

Yep - the thing is that you learn to risk. I. e. your training includes
looking for certain signs, and comparing them with what the dispatcher told
you, along with simple common sense. The whole idea of surviving AND doing
the job on the fire ground is to risk from a position of knowledge. You need
to know how far you are LIKELY to be able to go and still survive and do
your job.

Remember also it is usually very military in the fire service - you act
pretty much like a soldier, doing what your lieutenant or battalion chief
tells you to do. And the same reaction is expected as well - instant
obedience to orders.

That's the thing - most firefighter fatalities are when some unknown factor
was present (like a homeowner storing propane in his garage, or an
unanticipated collapse of a trench wall, for example.)

I have seen thought, that in the fire service (at least here, in the past)
the military paradigm is largely adhered to, but a smart officer will always
listen (at least a bit) versus military officers who more commonly have the
"shut and do what I tell you" mentality.
--
Stefan Viljoen