POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good old fashions hard work in a movie : Re: Good old fashions hard work in a movie Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good old fashions hard work in a movie
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Nov 2009 12:51:18
Message: <4afd9c96$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> For one thing, if you make a mistake, you have to start the take over
>> again. You can't just say "oh, I forgot he didn't blink for 2 minutes.
>> Let's add some blinks and re-render."
>
> more probably some photoshopping, as render is far more expensive than
> taking a shot in the puppet case... ;)

I'd be surprised if redoing a render is more expensive than setting up a set
(altho with the "data wrangling" going on, I imagine getting things out of
order in the pipeline could be ugly), getting the puppets into place, and
re-shooting an entire scene. But yeah, manually editting a dozen frames?
Makes sense.

> Not quite rigging, but it is known that Pixar manually models their
> characters and then 3D scan them.  They don't make 3D models in Maya or
> something.

Cool. I'd seen them talk about how they make the models and all, but I
hadn't seen that they actually use them directly rather than reproducing
them on a computer.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)