POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 13 Nov 2009 04:42:57
Message: <4afd2a21@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> You may like to hear that I have in fact the WCG client running right
> now :-)

Welcome then :-) In deed I'm glad you're participating, the more we're
the faster research will go :-)

Please spread the word; the WCG Forum have a thread with suggestion on
how to help the WCG besides running the client, the most important one
is this: spread the word to everyone you know or place you visit on The Net.

You don't need to have your PC 24/7 on or increase the utilization
percentage, normal use is enough, but is up to you.

To help you measure the reach of your help let me tell you a short
story: A few weeks ago I read in a thread of HCC (Help Conquer Cancer)
sub-forum that a guy was telling the story of how he met his WCG
e-friend but he had an aggressive type of Cancer and recently became
even more aggressive since he was entering the "Event Horizon", he had
no more than a few weeks left, so this guy, finally got to met him
personally, after speaking on the phone and webcam, they had a wonderful
afternoon and at the end of the meeting his friend told him the bad
news, he was shocked by the news and he spend almost the entire next day
thinking on the guy and of course moved to tears almost immediately
after he heard the news but he waited to be in his home to cry. So he
was asking to dedicate a little more CPU time to this project. The sick
friend had already 20 high-end PCs on his home each running a WCG Client.

You're helping people like this.

I accept the fact of death, but IMO nobody deserves to go in that
horrible way or because of AIDS, Alzheimer, Parkinson, etc. Or suffer
his/her entire life from paralysis, muscular dystrophy or other genetic
or protein-related diseases. Is just too horrible to see people
suffering that way, imagine the kind of strength you need to live it
through your entire life, knowing nothing or nobody can help you... I
want to give at least realistic hope to those people, even if I never
met them.

Also I really would like to help someday in the designing of prosthesis
at very low prices, replacing damaged organs with artificial ones, so
they can have normal and fruitful lives. Maybe finding new protein
folding will indirectly help out, knowing what proteins can be combined
with what artificial materials/proteins and implement prosthesis
devices. I'd like this to happen before my lifetime.

Cheers.